This is an older project I never posted anything about. I met some people from a web company called Uxebu. On their website they had a line “97% Human”. I once asked them, what’s the other 3%? Is it Beer? Hence the slogan 97% Human, 3% Beer. I made a mock of a tshirt design for it. Here it is:
I was working on setting up a favicon for this site. You can see it here:
The process was simple. I created a mock in Sketch using the Futura Font for the “Z”. I then brought the image into Icon Composer, and exported it as an ICO. I modified the functions.php for the theme to include a function for rendering the link tag in the wp_head, and that should be it. It’s not appearing for me yet, but I assuming it’s a cache issue for now.
On Christmas Eve last year I made a new close friend. She asked me if I wanted to train and do a Triathlon in May. This past weekend was that Triathlon. On Friday, my creative drive was very focused on the triathlon. Here was a sketch I made:
One of my very good friends successfully defended her PhD yesterday in mechanical engineering (really astrophysics, but they called it mechanical engineering). The only think I could think of all day was a logo. She made the mistake of saying that I could call her Dr. anything once she graduated. Her new nickname from me is Dr. McHotPants. Here was the logo I drew for her:
We live in a world dominated by consumption. The fundamental model of our world is capitalism. Consumption of products created by others. Even now as I’m typing this, I’m a consumer. This machine was not built by me. The software I’m using I didn’t write. The keys I’m bombarding with my fingers have a cost associated with them. The coffee that I’m sipping on was purchased just down the street. All of these are things that were made by others and delivered to my hands usually at the cost of some currency.
I’m tired of just being a consumer. It’s simple, perhaps a bit arrogant, but I’m too smart to spend all of my time consuming others’ products. What I produce to world is created through my day job, these products are the general design of others. As such, they lack both my personal mark and label.
As someone capable of creation, I demand more from myself.
This deserves a little bit of explanation. I found out that one of my friends started working for Duarte. I fell in love with their logo:
One of the creative projects I have coming up is designing a new favicon for this site. This seems like as good a start as any. I have a couple of ideas going forward, but this sketch was the start. It was made with Paper for the iPad.
Four months into my new years resolution and I’d grade myself at a C- for my creativity. I have started doing a lot of new things. I’ve moved to a new home. Cleaned it more. Started working on my cooking. Traveled to South America. Taken a few more pictures (bought a new camera). The problem is that I’m not sharing any of this creativity, and I’m not held to any deadlines. I’ll have days of creative juices flowing and days where I’m as boring as a broomstick.
The other day I was watching this video of Kate Bingaman at Creative Mornings Portland, and was inspired to start creating projects with rules. Rules, or constraints, help us focus on our work. No constraints means no work. I’d never finish a design or piece of code if I didn’t have time constraints. This lead me to the Make Something Manifesto idea.
Make Something Manifesto
Create something new everyday
Share it with world by posting it online
That’s it. Nice and simple. The only requirement of making something is that it is postable. I could make a new batch of chocolate cookies, and as long as I post a few pictures and a review (maybe a recipe if it was a success), it would count as an item towards the manifesto.
Of course there will be days without internet, or creative urge. These days will need to be made up for on the next available connected day. I should end up with no less than 365 new items a year.
Today, I’m making this blog post, tomorrow who knows.